Friday, June 11, 2010

Something in common with the world

So, today/last night, I took the redeye from Denver to Boston. The eve before the kickoff of World Cup 2010. I wore my USA track suit jacket (yes, nerdy, I know). But I've never had so many friendly strangers want to chat with me. Strangers from America, strangers from Holland... and France...

There is a bond, an unspoken bond between worldwide soccer supporters, and although it is more present during the World Cup, it is always there. Do a test, if you don't believe me. Find a national team jersey (USA or someone else - probably not Brazil, or people will just think you are a fake), now, go to an international airport and walk around.

Part of the beauty of the world's game is just that, it is the world's game. It is something that a snobby, elite woman living in a penthouse apartment on the upper east side might have in common with a young Argentine boy who lives in a shack with three families. It is the fact that despite your political views, your views on animal cruelty, your opinion on gun laws or foreign relations, you can still share something SO huge with somebody so different from you.

For most of the world soccer games can end wars, they can solve or cause major national problems. This fact alone sets soccer apart from all other sports. I am proud to be a member of the worldwide soccer/futbol/football lovers group (even if it isn't a Facebook group yet). I have something in common with the world. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment